Thursday 22 November 2012

The Next Stage..

Living in the country alone, as I do, I often lie awake at night wondering what is going to become of me when I'm older.  At the moment I'm fairly lucid, continent, can get around and with the benefit of contacts - see.   My hearing is a bit shot, due - according to the 'hearologist' - too much rock music played in the car too loud and for too long periods of time.  'Sweet Child Of Mine' gets me up and running - but I have to be able to 'feel it'!

So my plan is to spend much more time in London.  The kids are all there and it makes sense, plus - lovely as the majority of my neighbours are - they don't really 'get' me and this can be very lonely making.

With this in mind I decided to go and do a rekkie... find out whats really going on and what I could do with myself to keep busy, active and interested.

I set off on Sunday with the car rammed to the brim with dogs, clothes, several bags of cosmetics,  lunch, and made my way to Binky's place.  Coming from London originally,  I find the pavements and smell of diesel familiar and strangely comforting.

On arrival, after unloading the car, I made my way straight to the kitchen.  I know my place, and love me as she professes, getting the oven on and doing what I do best is a priority in her view. 

After a couple of hours the house had filled with lovely young people and lots of food was produced.  Everybody sat there chatting and I was thrilled that I had got it right and people were happy.  On one of my numerous trips back to the kitchen somebody said that the dishwasher wasn't working properly, and could I look at it.  Naturally no problem, I scheduled that in for Monday, and, with the help of a dear friend, washed up by hand.

Monday morning I tiptoed downstairs carefully.  I say this because Scrumble, the new addition to the Felstead menagerie is only 11 weeks old - and walking barefoot first thing in the morning should be done with extreme caution.  I navigated my way around a minefield of things best not mentioned, to the kettle, noticing en route that the vacuum cleaner was so full it was a wonder it hadn't exploded. I decided to take a look at that later on, after I had 'sprung' the clothes from the washing machine that had been washed last week, and hang them out to dry.

So, the day went on - busily... and I wasn't surprised when Binks - a divine child that says all the things that make me feel valued, asked what was for dinner.  Flattered I asked her what she would like, and she said 'whatever' but could I make it quick as she was out tonight, and would I be able to stay in and Scrumble sit.  I agreed, because I felt fairly tired by now.

The next day I decided to have a bit of a change of child and go and stay with A-L.  She was thrilled because she needed some paintings moved to a gallery the other side of London, and could I help.  I naturally agreed, paid my £10 congestion charge, and set off.

 East London was busier than I remembered and I didn't get back till late.  A-L is a darling, and offered to cook, but never had  much in - so could I grab something on the way back from taking the dogs for a walk...yes - of course!

Long story short.  I had a wonderful time with the girls and was going to make contact with Oli before leaving, but changed my mind (just in case he had a lot to do!)  I thought that maybe I would  just slip off home for a bit of R&R and worry another day, when I've got a bit more energy, about what's going to happen to me when I get old.  I have a feeling that - unless things change hugely - I know exactly what I'm going to be doing... and it won't be having time to worry!

Janey xx

1 comment:

  1. You have a new moniker MummyFelstead.....Janitor Jane! Somehow our lives don't change even when they flown the nest! LOL. Fab isn't it ha ha ha. We have a little moan and groan now and then...but would we really.have it any other way?? ......hmmm. I wonder? I am worn out working and and then coming home and trying to prepare for the festive onslaught..just so I can actually SIT and spend.some quality time with them! Hopefully, someone else will do the dishes. Really miss my dishwasher...but can't justify it now I am also living on my own.

    There was one bonus on your visit Janey ...at least they actually do USE the vacuum ;)

    ReplyDelete