Friday 16 November 2012

Another day on

Loving this blog malarky!

 Sitting in bed with Ted snoring gently, and the vague smell of fox poo wafting over the duvet,  it gives me the opportunity - before giving into sleep - to chat away and clear my head of all the stuff of the day.


I went up to London to meet the kids and have some lunch.  I had a vague feeling that something was afoot, as my eldest daughter A-L had gone very quiet - and finding out why was the real purpose of the trip.
 I was prepared for some resistance when I began interrogating  her, thinking that I would have to use my best technique and possibly bribery, but in fact she was quite open about it and told me she's ( considering ) moving to New York.
  Now obviously I want my kids to be happy, but if I'm honest, I really do wish they could be happy here, close to me. This can't always the case of course as people must do there own thing and be independent and adventurous, but still it was painful to hear.

 Thankfully Binks and Oli were being as daft as always which gave me the chance to recover, and by the time we'd  finished and I'd paid all had returned to normal.... me paying being the most normal!

Driving back to Sussex last night, and thinking about all this stuff,  I decided to drop into a old mate, who's life isn't in any way as easy as mine.  I sat at her table while she poured me a glass of vino, and watched her prepare stuff for her B&B's.  I told her about the A-L stuff, and her immediate reaction was - bloody marvellous! - you are SO lucky! you'll  be able to go and stay with her and go to fabulous places, and not have to do a stroke of work.


So typical!  not only do I feel sad - I now feel guilty as well!  But I suppose its done me good.  Just shows that even when you get to my age there's still some learning to do.  When I do go out there, I may just insist the old friend comes too, and then A-L can look after the both of us!

Sweet dreams

Janey x



4 comments:

  1. A glass half full girly ....I love it! Can sympathise with you though..as it was a bolt from the blue. If it's any consolation my eldest llives in the far reaches of The great White North(Canada tp you and I)....so only seen him twice in the last five years....boooo...and the youngest lives in Germany with her family....sooooo...if I can do it....you can do it and think of all that glorious retail therapy if she DOES go....whoopeeee. I dont know why Kinky and Olls dont "go for it" ;)...joking...why ruin a fable friendship...BUT he is Sooooo lovely. MummyL did a great job too. #chinup :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are always good and bad points of having family members live abroad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived out there for a year! It was amazing, and the shopping is the best! But though I made some amazing friends and had some truly great times, I was so happy to come back to edinburgh, to my friends and my family. As much as its so much fun to see the world, there truly is no place like home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there some sort of way in which we can interact
    with each other as in conversing?Maybe a FB page for the sad old empty nesters! Must be more than just me surely!
    I am an empty nester and find it very hard. Although my two boys boarded it is different somehow when they actually leave home proper.I am an avid MIC fan as I get to see some of the places one of them frequents. The one I wish would get a date with the lovely Binky as mentioned in a previous post!

    ReplyDelete